Connect with us

Banking/Finance

JUST IN: NLC’s protest threat has been silenced – FG

Published

on

Minister of Labour and Employment Chris Ngige has assured the threat of protest by the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) against the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) over naira scarcity has been arrested.

The NLC gave the Federal Government a seven-day ultimatum to cause the CBN and the commercial banks to end the cash scarcity, failure of which it warned of a nationwide protest and the picketing of the apex bank’s branches.

Advertisement

But appearing on the weekly Ministerial Briefing organised by the Presidential Communication Team at the State House, Abuja, the Minister of Labour and Employment, Ngige said dialogues, coordinated by his ministry, took place making the CBN take steps to remedy the situation.

The Minister, who was accompanied by the Minister of State for Labour and Employment, Festus Keyamo, and other senior officials of the Ministry, said as at the moment, the issue to be discussed by NLC in its National Executive Council meeting would no longer be issues of protest, which he said had already been apprehended.

Advertisement

“Now they have all answered our calls because we are the Chief Conciliators. In my opening remark, I said I’ve noticed that there’s already a dialogue going on and there’s also implementation and the Nigerian Labour Congress agreed that there was some thawing at the surface of the icing that was there.

RELATED NEWS:
BREAKING: NLC Declares Nationwide Strike Over Naira Scarcity
NLC Orders Sit-At-Home in Rivers State Over Fuel, Naira Scarcity

Advertisement

“They said they will call up their National Executive Council meeting because the initial decision to give that ultimatum was given by this same Council. Members of the Council reside in the states and in the local governments so they will come up today, which is Tuesday, the 28th, to review the situation because much as it is, the important thing is that we have emphasized to them that we have apprehended this dispute.

“By Section 7:8 of Trade Dispute Act, once the Minister apprehends and starts conciliation on it, you maintain status quo ante bellum. So they have gone back now to review the situation. If they’re not satisfied with what they’re see, they will come back to me and I’ll invite the CBN again.

Advertisement

ALSO:
Wike Orders Demolition Of AIT/Raypower Office In Rivers, Issues Quit Notice
BREAKING: INEC Fixes New Date For supplemental Elections in Adamawa and Kebbi States

“But for now, the issue of discussion is no longer strike, the issue of discussion is implementation and how far it’s gone and how far it affects Nigerian workers and the general population.

Advertisement

“So that is it, the final decision will be done today by NEC and they will then do a resolution, of course, inform me and CBN what their resolution is. But like I said, we have apprehended and we are now conciliating,” he assured.

Details Shortly…

Advertisement
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

business14 hours ago

Fertiliser Plants: Dangote vows to ensure food security in Africa

news2 days ago

2027 Ondo North Senate: ATM secures Backing of Monarchs, Chiefs

Uncategorized4 days ago

Fidelity Bank Chairman Amaka Onwughalu wins “Women on Bank Boards” at AWBFA 2026

Banking/Finance4 days ago

Wema Bank Plc Sets the Record Straight on False and Misleading Publication by NDIC on Legacy Transactions Involving Defunct Gulf Bank Plc

Cover4 days ago

Excitement as Zamfara Under Governor Lawal Begins Airlift of Pilgrims at Zamfara Airport

Banking/Finance1 week ago

Fidelity Bank’s gross earnings rise by 45%, shareholders’ funds cross N1trn mark

Cover1 week ago

Aare Adetola EmmanuelKing Felicitates Olofin of Ilisan Remo on 86th Birthday

Banking/Finance1 week ago

Mirroring Fidelity Bank’s Giant Footprints in Aviation Financing in Nigeria

Cover1 week ago

Governor Dauda Lawal Hails Troops for Successful Fight against Banditry, Terrorism across Zamfara State

Cover1 week ago

Governor Dauda Lawal Approves N3.2 Billion to renovate School of Nursing in Zurmi

Cover1 week ago

2027: Lagosians Unite For Tinubu As Lawmaker Declares Bid

news1 week ago

Alleged $1.5m Fraud: Court Dismisses Preliminary Objections, Bail Application of Intermediate Investment Holdings Boss, Ufoma Joseph Immanuel in Lagos

Cover1 week ago

IGP Commends Officers’ Bravery as Ondo CP Reinforces Professionalism, Discipline and Electoral Neutrality

Cover2 weeks ago

Fidelity Bank Provides Critical Funding Support to Abuja Special Needs Orphanage

Cover2 weeks ago

NASSCO Honours Zamfara Governor Dauda Lawal with Excellence Award for Inclusive Governance