Connect with us

Cover

We’re Not Interested In Your Government’s Offer Of Unity – LP Campaign Replies Tinubu

Published

on

The Chief spokesman for the Labour Party Presidential Campaign Council (LP PCC) Yinusa Tanko has rejected the call from Bola Ahmed Tinubu, the president-elect, to form a unity government.

Recall that Tinubu, in his acceptance speech on Wednesday, commended his opponents for the keenly-contested election and requested them to work with him for the development of the country.

Advertisement

“Finally, I thank the Nigerian people for their abiding belief in our democracy. I shall be a fair leader to all Nigerians. I will be in tune with your aspirations, charge up your energies and harness your talents to deliver a nation that we can be proud of.

“To my fellow candidates, former Vice-President Atiku, former governor Kwankwaso, former governor Obi and all others, I extend the hand of friendship. This was a competitive, high-spirited campaign. You have my utmost respect. Let’s collaborate and work together. I promise to work with you. Political competition must now give way to political conciliation and inclusive governance,” Tinubu had said.

Advertisement

However, Tanko, in a chat with journalists in Abuja on Wednesday, said the LP presidential candidate, Peter Obi, will not be part of any unity government.

According to him, the LP was not interested in Tinubu’s offer, stressing that the party has resolved to head to the court for redress.

Advertisement

He said: “We said that we are going to court. We are not interested in discussing anything on the government of national unity. What we have so far resolved is to head to the court for redress.”

The spokesman further berated the chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Mahmood Yakubu, over the conduct of the just concluded presidential election.

Advertisement

ALSO READ Don’t Allow PDP Stain You – Fayose Warns Peter Obi

He opined that the election did not meet the minimum standard as prescribed by INEC guidelines and the Electoral Act 2022, adding that the drama that led to the presentation of the Certificate of Return to Tinubu and his running mate was a well-rehearsed script.

Advertisement

Tanko, further called on LP supporters and members to remain peaceful and calm, and encourage them to continue with the campaigns ahead of the forthcoming governorship and state house of assembly elections.

His words, “It is our position that the purported result did not meet the minimum criteria of a transparent, free and fair election. In addition to the most condemnable attacks, violence, voter intimidation and suppression, the election was conducted in clear violation of agreed and promised INEC rules and guidelines, the Electoral Act 2002 as amended, and indeed the Nigerian Constitution.

Advertisement

ALSO READ Tinubu Sets Up Reconciliation Committee To Meet With Obi, Atiku

“As evident, the institutions of the state and leaders that were supposed to ensure the sanctity of the election, again and as in the past collaborated and colluded to subvert the will of the good people of Nigeria.

Advertisement

“Please be assured of our determination to fight the injustice that has been perpetrated on Nigerians through all legal and peaceful means.

“While painful, we implore you to please remain peaceful and calm. As our fight and determination for a New Nigeria are just beginning, we equally encourage you all to continue with the campaigns and vote massively for Labour Party in the forthcoming governorship and state house of Assembly election on Saturday 11th March 2023.

Advertisement

“Our Principal, His Excellency, Mr Peter Obi will in due course speak to you all and indeed the nation.”

Advertisement
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Cover2 hours ago

Zamfara State Approves Enhanced Pension Payouts for Retired Public Workers

business16 hours ago

Fertiliser Plants: Dangote vows to ensure food security in Africa

news2 days ago

2027 Ondo North Senate: ATM secures Backing of Monarchs, Chiefs

Uncategorized4 days ago

Fidelity Bank Chairman Amaka Onwughalu wins “Women on Bank Boards” at AWBFA 2026

Banking/Finance4 days ago

Wema Bank Plc Sets the Record Straight on False and Misleading Publication by NDIC on Legacy Transactions Involving Defunct Gulf Bank Plc

Cover4 days ago

Excitement as Zamfara Under Governor Lawal Begins Airlift of Pilgrims at Zamfara Airport

Banking/Finance1 week ago

Fidelity Bank’s gross earnings rise by 45%, shareholders’ funds cross N1trn mark

Cover1 week ago

Aare Adetola EmmanuelKing Felicitates Olofin of Ilisan Remo on 86th Birthday

Banking/Finance1 week ago

Mirroring Fidelity Bank’s Giant Footprints in Aviation Financing in Nigeria

Cover1 week ago

Governor Dauda Lawal Hails Troops for Successful Fight against Banditry, Terrorism across Zamfara State

Cover1 week ago

Governor Dauda Lawal Approves N3.2 Billion to renovate School of Nursing in Zurmi

Cover1 week ago

2027: Lagosians Unite For Tinubu As Lawmaker Declares Bid

news2 weeks ago

Alleged $1.5m Fraud: Court Dismisses Preliminary Objections, Bail Application of Intermediate Investment Holdings Boss, Ufoma Joseph Immanuel in Lagos

Cover2 weeks ago

IGP Commends Officers’ Bravery as Ondo CP Reinforces Professionalism, Discipline and Electoral Neutrality

Cover2 weeks ago

Fidelity Bank Provides Critical Funding Support to Abuja Special Needs Orphanage