Connect with us

Cover

Breaking: Popular Tiktoker bags two years jail term For Insulting President

Published

on

 

Newslens NG reports that popular social media influencer in Angola has had her prison sentence increased to two years for “insulting” President João Lourenço on TikTok.

Advertisement

Ana da Silva Miguel, popularly known as Neth Nahara, was initially sentenced by a court to six months in August.

However, an appeals court ruled that the sentence was too lenient and raised it to two years.

Advertisement

Ms Miguel accused the president on her TikTok account of “anarchy and disorganisation”, local media reported.

She also blamed the president for the lack of schools, housing and employment in the oil-rich southern African state.

Advertisement

President Lourenço was re-elected for second term in August last year in a closely fought election that extended the ruling MPLA party’s decades-long dominance.

It has been in power since independence in 1975, and is accused of leading a repressive regime.

Advertisement

The appeals court in the capital, Luanda, said that Ms Miguel had used offensive words against the president, and the fact that she had the ability to influence public opinion made her conduct “more objectionable”.

She had pleaded for leniency on the grounds that she was a first-time offender, a mother of young children, and regretted her remarks.

Advertisement

But the court dismissed her plea, and went further to order her to pay President Lourenço $1,200 (£1,000) for the “damage” caused to his reputation.

Judge Salomão Raimundo Kulanda described the president as “sovereign”, and said the TikToker was aware of this.

Advertisement

Ms Miguel has more than 230,000 followers on TikTok and her videos attract thousands of views.

Her lawyer told Portuguese news outlet, Lusa, that this was the first time a person had been convicted in Angola for something they had posted on TikTok.

Advertisement

The lawyer added that the ruling was final. An appeal to the Supreme Court could not be made for a sentence that was less than three years.

The state prosecutor had asked for a harsher punishment, saying the initial six-month sentence was too “benevolent” and Ms Miguel was likely to put similar posts on social media again.

Advertisement

Angola is one of Africa’s biggest oil exporters but most of its people live in poverty.

It has recently been hit by a wave of protests over the rising cost of living.

Advertisement

In August, campaign group Human Rights Watch (HRW) accused the security forces of unlawfully killing at least 15 people, mostly government critics, since the beginning of the year.

President Lourenço in June sacked the economic minister following deadly protests over a reduction in a fuel subsidy, which led to a spike in prices.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Cover7 hours ago

Tinubu Unveils APC 2027 Presidential Campaign Council, Names Yari As DG

Cover1 day ago

FG Declares August 25 Public Holiday for Eid ul-Mawlid

Cover1 day ago

Ondo CP Leads Walkathon to Mark 2026 International Youth Day

Cover1 day ago

When a Soldier Blocks a Protester: What the Ex-Serviceman’s Confrontation Says About Power, Courage and Civil Rights

Cover1 day ago

Ondo, Edo Police Launch Joint Operation to Flush Out Criminals Along Border Communities

Cover4 days ago

Nigerian Microdramas Rack Up 44.7 Million Views in One Week, Spotlighting Africa’s Growing Vertical Entertainment Industry

Banking/Finance4 days ago

Fidelity Bank Deepens Commitment to Food Security in Abeokuta

Cover4 days ago

Veteran Nollywood Actor Ogogo Battling Stage 4 Cancer, Children Cry Out for Help in Emotional Video

Cover6 days ago

Defence Headquarters Confirms Hacking of Social Media Account, Warns Nigerians Against Fake Posts

Cover6 days ago

Governor Ademola Adeleke Re-Endorses President Tinubu For 2027 After Election Victory

Cover6 days ago

INEC Declares Ademola Adeleke Winner of Osun Governorship Election

Cover1 week ago

INTERNATIONAL CRUSADE FOR ZION MINISTRY KICKS OFF IN IMO STATE FRIDAY

Cover1 week ago

Osun Election: Soldiers Bar Davido From Entering Osun State, Singer Raises Alarm

news1 week ago

2027: Great Joshua MacIver Declares Governorship Ambition, Pledges ₦70m Monthly to PDP

business1 week ago

Access’ Recognition by CFA Society Signals a New Standard for Developing Africa’s Future Financial Leaders